The origins of the Conservatoire date back to 1880, when the Civico Istituto Musicale was founded. Its first director, Luigi Cànepa, was a young composer from Sassari who had made himself known in various opera houses in Northern Italy between the 19th and the 20th century. In 1968, the Institute became the current Music Conservatoire and was named after Cànepa. Since 1991, it has occupied the premises of the former “San Vincenzo” old people’s home. The building has now 45 rooms for educational use and two concert halls. Moreover, it has a library with wide reading rooms and a listening room, as well as a classroom divided into two large areas for the School of Electronic Music. Currently, the educational offer, in addition to traditional schools, also includes courses of more recent foundation such as Music Didactics, Jazz, Electronic Music and Ethnomusicology.
Events 5th-7th july, Piazza Sant’Antiocru h11:30; 19:00; 22:00
Giardino Comunale h15:30, Intermezzi musicali